Someone once asked me how I come up with all the stuff I’m writing and talking about. He seemed to be impressed by the constant flow of ideas I come up with and wanted to know how he could come up with ideas for his blog.
I follow a very easy to copy pattern to come up with ideas and it looks something like this:
- I read a lot of books from different disciplines (relationships, business, life, death, entrepreneurship, dating, spirituality, etc.).
- I don’t have a smart phone (I actually do have one but I only use it when I’m traveling) because it distracts me quite a lot.
- I read Quora to see what problems people are facing and what questions they have (I even published one answer I gave on Quora on my blog here).
- I test things on Twitter before/during/after I publish an article.
- I have a list where I collect all of my ideas and select the ones I’d love to put into action.
- I go for a lot of walks outside where I don’t have anything except a notepad and my eyes wide open (I guess I actually also look for cool photo motives but I don’t have a camera with me)
… that's my entire secret. And it works all the time (at least for me).
I guess the most important thing is to not get distracted by the permanent noise from multiple devices at the same time.
I realized that for me having more than one device distracts my brain too much and it will just shutdown, go into autopilot and it just stops being creative…
That’s why I try to work on one single device only (the netbook I’m currently writing this article on) and not have other devices around with an Internet connection with multiple distraction sources...
Love it? Share it!