And nothing else...
The stuff when they're down on their knees. When they are at the bottom. People only want you to see and show you the stuff when they're at the top. When everything goes well. They don't show you the stuff when they're at the bottom. At their worst.
So whatever you see online, read online or whenever someone tells you how awesome it is what he or she's doing, know that this is probably only true for 1% of the time. People don't talk about the other 99% of the time. They don't talk about the struggle. About the struggle they had to go through.
Because it might make them and their life choices look stupid. They only want you to see the good stuff. They want to hear you tell them that they're living the dream.
They don't want to look stupid in front of everybody else. I don't want to look stupid in font of everybody else. She wants you to think that she's living the life. When she clearly isn't.
Look. The truth is that all of this is about sacrifice. It's not about living on an island. It's not about living the life. It's not about freedom. It's all about sacrifice. And nothing else. The more you're willing to give up now, the more likely you're MAYBE going to get more in return some time in the future.
And I say maybe, because there's no guarantee for anything in life. You might be sacrificing things your whole life and you might never ever get anything in return. That's just the reality. And sometimes all the hustling in the world won't help you. Sometimes it just doesn't work out. Ever.
And that's why it's so lonely at the top, as they say. Because most people are not willing to sacrifice anything. They're not willing to do things. All they're willing to do is to share stuff on their Facebook walls. And that's already about it.
But what it's really all about is staying at home on Friday night when everybody else goes out drinking. It's about not seeing your friends as much as you'd like. It's about staying in front of your laptop until your eyes turn red. Until you can't barely see anymore. Until they bleed. Ok, that's maybe a bit exaggerated. Or maybe it isn't. What do I know?
That's what it's all about. It's about sacrifice. It's about believing in yourself. And giving yourself a chance to shine. But you can only shine brighter than everybody else if you have enough fuel. And the fuel doesn't come from sitting around and waiting. It doesn't come from posting "hustle" on your Facebook wall.
It only comes from doing. From building momentum. And not from sitting around when you haven't achieved anything yet.
It's about putting in more work than anybody else out there ever would for a few years. It's just like they say, you've gotta be willing to live a few years like no one else ever would, to be able to live the rest of your life like no one else ever could.
And the reality is that everybody can do that. But no one ever does. That's also the reason why you'll most probably never get what you really deserve. What you really want.
Look. I left everything behind. I left my friends behind. I left my family behind. I don't own a thing anymore. No one hands me me a paycheck at the end of the month. I'm not working for anybody. And all I have with me right now is a backpack with a few things. The most valuable thing I have with me is my $300 laptop on which I'm writing this right here.
And many days are a struggle. Things that other people take for granted can turn into a struggle. And most of the time most of the things I do don't work out. And you only see the things that did work out. You never see the stuff that didn't work out. You never see the struggle.
Because I don't want to look stupid. Mostly because I sometimes really feel stupid. And think that I'm stupid. But you never get to see that. You only get to see the things where I look smart. And not stupid.
So the next time you see someone and think that they're living the life, then think again. They're probably not living the life. It's all about sacrifice. Until maybe one day it all pays off. Maybe it doesn't. Who knows? No one...
And if those people are really living the life right now, then think about what they had to go through to live the life they're now living. Think about all the pain. Think about all the hardship. Think about all the struggle. And the sacrifice.
But most importantly think about this. And ask yourself this simple question...
Am I willing to go through all of this without any guarantee that it will ever work out?
Under these conditions, am I willing to give myself a chance to shine or just leave it as it is?
And then act accordingly.
And never ever look back again...
P.S. This was part 24/30 of my upcoming book. By the way, I just uploaded a super fancy cover. It's really good! And yes, that's my handwriting on the cover :-).You can check it out and pre-order it here.
[Related: I stopped giving a shit a long time ago]